Is it possible to recycle used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a passed family member or you chose to upgrade your hearing aids to something fancier such as a cochlear implant, the solution is the same: your pre-owned hearing aids need to be donated instead of throwing them away.
There are several organizations that acquire and distribute used hearing aids to individuals who could really use them, and there are plenty of people who need them. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and learn how you can do it.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Donate a Used Hearing Aid
- Around 14% of the total population, suffers from hearing loss
- Of all of the adults who have hearing loss 91% percent are over 50 years old
- There is evidence of hearing loss in 15% of school aged children
- Hearing aids would help nearly 29 million adults with hearing loss, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually make use of hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who need hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever had them
I think we should be concerned. Because untreated hearing loss has been associated with several health issues from a greater risk of falling to cognitive decline and depression. As a matter of fact, new research comes out every day showing how important hearing is to your overall health. Getting hearing aids can prevent these health problems (and in certain situations even reverse them).
And the last convincing fact is that hearing loss can cost the typical family $12,000 in earnings every year. But that expense can actually be lessened by as much as 50% with hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 each year, it may just not be possible for them to pay for a hearing aid.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your used hearing aids can have an enormous effect on their financial stability, quality of life, and health. It could also help a child in school that has a hard time hearing, which could impact their ability to enter into higher education and make a livable wage when they’re older.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer groups. Come and talk with us so we can advise you on the right recycling option for you. Or give us a call.